18 February 2010

The Gimmies

Being underemployed has taken my satisfaction of window shopping to new levels. Strolling down the sidewalk peeking into dress shops and cooing over beautiful coats has become a new hobby without the added price tag that so often follows my newest passions. I've been having a wonderful time dreaming of "my style" once I actually have the capital it would take to build up a wardrobe (and the nerve). Online shopping is no exception. I'm clicking on all of the junk mail newsletters sent by Loft, J. Crew, Anthropoligie, and ModCloth; never buying, just wishing and hoping, gleaning inspiration and gumption.That is, until I looked at the new spring clothes from Downeast Basics. Looking through all of those clothes gave me a straight up case of the gimmies. Like, for reals. Here are a few of my favorites:

{frosted flower cardigan}

{He Loves Me Dress}


{Outside the Box Top}


{Stroke of Art Skirt}


Gimmie, gimmie, gimmie, and gimmie. *Sigh* Oh well. Maybe I will devise a scheme to fit at least one of these into the budget. As my style idol, Emily, once said: My wardrobe will need to be replenished one paycheck at a time. Or...every few paychecks in my case.

What do you have the gimmies for lately? Or am I the only greedy one around here?

Oh! I almost forgot. Am developing some "finding style" manifestos. Of course I'll be sharing them here because what on earth is a blog for than sharing meaningless drivel?

Finding Style Manifesto #1: Wear more skirts and dresses. No, not just on Sunday.


Photobucket

11 comments:

Hannah said...

i ALMOST bought that cardigan when I was shopping there online today. I adore it. But...then I started thinking that I could make it. (I never will, but I couldn't bring myself to pay that after thinking that.)

emily said...

I want that cardigan! There's another DownEast one in the BYU Bookstore that has ruffles down the front, and it was all could do not to strip down the mannequin and make it my own.

And I totally agree with your first manifesto. I love making up new, everyday outfits with my skirts and dresses. Especially if I have some awesome tights. (Or that DownEast cardigan) For all your fabulous hoisery needs, check Walmart. I found colored tights there in November for 2 for $5.

erin said...

I totally have the gimmies for that sweater as well. I have never heard of Down East Basics until last night on another blog. I live in Kansas and we don't have that store here.

I also have the gimmies for a shopping trip to the Gap. My all time favorite store.

Laurel said...

Dude, I've never heard of DownEast Basics. I'm in love with that skirt. I also need to wear skirts more often.

I want to buy a lot of adorable jackets. I really wish I lived somewhere where it was necessary to own a lot of jackets.

And I pretty much always have the gimmies.

Serin said...

I absolutely LOVE that middle shirt! Excuse me while I wipe the drool off my keyboard...

Staci said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Staci said...

If it makes you feel any better, they only have that sweater in XL white anyway...

But I'm with Hannah - make the dang thing! You can do it!

michelle said...

I love all of those! But especially the flowered cardigan... oh mama.

I love wearing casual skirts and dresses, especially in summer.

Rachel said...

Yes! I have been eyeing that cardingan myself, I saw it on a manequin in a store in Richfield, and it is just as fabulous in real life.....And they had it paired with the most gorgeous skirt! I had the Gimmies too, but I first have to get skinny enough to not hate myself in it....Oh ya and I am poor too.

Jason & Makenna said...

I AM IN LOVE. Hello gorgeous cardigan and mouth watering out of the box shirt. Great choices. And yes, you should come to AZ. It was 76 today. Beautiful. We would love to have you so let us know when you mark your calendar.

Katharina said...

You read my mind. Every time I make a pilgrimage home to ID, my sisters and I go here.
Every. Single. Time.

(Who'd have thought that the tiny hole of a mall has the store that I adore above all of the big city boutiques?)

A little caveat: The fit on their skirts and dresses can be less than precise. I'm 5' 9", and I've had to make alterations to lengthen a couple of dresses. Also, the sizing gets a little mushy; a medium in one item can be a small in another. Not a huge deal for that price point, but just a little heads-up. I still love their options.

{I recently saw the frosted flower cardigan in person, and I think it would be very easy to replicate. }

Related Posts with Thumbnails