16 August 2010

Handmade Holiday 2010

I am the kind of girl who likes to celebrate holidays in their respective months. No Christmas carols before December 1st, thank you very much. Okay, maybe after Thanksgiving, but don't push it. But when the thought crossed my mind that I wanted to knit many of the gifts this year for Handmade Holiday, I faced a hard truth: I'm just going to have to start thinking about Christmas. In August. Can you believe my sacrifice?

Even though N8tr0n has a job this year, the success of last year's Handmade Holiday leaves me craving a round two. Of course we could buy all of our gifts, but what's the fun in that? I especially like that making all of our Christmas presents gives me a solid excuse to squeeze some quality crafting time into my weekly schedule.

I had completely forgotten how much fun it was to plan last year's Handmade Holiday. I already have post-it-notes all over the house with lists of people, gifts, and yarn colors. Yes, knitting will play a starring role in this year's gifts, but there will be plenty of variety too. I can tell I'll spend some nights lying awake in my bed trying to come up with something perfect for a few of the people on my list, while I try to narrow down the possible perfect somethings for the rest of the people on my list. All this excitement and the making has barely begun! Mmm...this is gonna be awesome.

DSC_1403

Last night I started on one of Z-cakes' gifts. This adorable sweater. Oh my heavens. I kind of want to marry the Spud & Chloe yarn I'm using to make it. The pattern says this sweet little sweater is a quick knit. A weekend project. But I've got four months, so I'm trying to savor it. Stretch it out a little. I know the moment it is finished I will just want to put it on her and think of something else to make her for Christmas. Which I'm already doing right now.

Thinking of something else to make. It's pretty much what I'm always doing.

What about you? Have you ever done a Handmade Holiday? Would you consider it? Are you considering it now?

How about now?

Photobucket

10 comments:

Gail said...

Oh, so cute - can't wait to see that sweater on Z!! Might consider a smattering of handmade, but am very excited that you are thinking handmade again this year. Last year was awesome!!!

Cathy said...

Oh, I wish I was on your Christmas gift list.

paws said...

I love handmade gifts. I haven't splurged on S&C yet, but I'm drooling over the picture.

Suzanne said...

I knit several gifts last year (which was impressive, considering I only learned to knit last October) and will definitely do it again this Christmas. But my crafting skills in any other area fall far short of gift-giving abilities.

Tammie said...

I am so doing handmade holidays this year. I have been between jobs and so have been thinking about gifts that won't cost tons of money and have a great idea for my siblings. Your post was perfect timing!

I have to admit that I love Christmas and don't wait until December to play the Christmas music. In fact, this morning I keep seeing my favorite Christmas album in my iTunes list and have been tempted to play it. Now that you have me thinking about Christmas gifts I may just have to do that!
Tamara

PS I like to put my tree up at the beginning of November :-)

Chalet said...

That sweater makes me want to do a Handmade Christmas

Anonymous said...

Sure love ya, crafty girl!

michelle said...

That picture is drool-worthy! I would love to do a handmade Christmas. I just don't know if I could pull it together quickly enough. I'll have to brainstorm about that...

michelle said...

Oh my! I just clicked on the sweater link! I'm dying. I have never felt capable of making actual garments, but this one sound easy enough that I might have to try it.

Hannah said...

wow! so cute!! lucky ducks on your gift list...

and the yarn is just lovely!

Related Posts with Thumbnails