20 May 2011

Blog Hopping: Easy Family Recipe

Blog Hopping Logo

Good Morning! I'm excited about this new Blog Hopping series that Hannah and I will be hosting on the 20th of each month. Today we're talking about an easy family recipe and I'm featuring one of my all time faves: Fish Tacos.

DSC_4360

I fell in love with fish tacos right after N8tr0n and I got married. We were living in Bellingham, WA and there were fish tacos aplenty. It didn't matter if the fish was battered and fried or grilled and smothered in chutney; I was in love.

Now that we live in Idaho fish tacos are less...plentiful. These that I make for our family are not quite as good as the ones that I had at the tiny restaurant on Mt. Baker Highway, but they give me an excuse to fire up the grill, which is really all I'm looking for from May through October.

So I have to say, the picture? It's not amazing. But that is basically because when I make fish tacos we just want to eat them. NOW. And the fact that I need to take a picture for the blog is like, nobody's concern. So, the lighting was bad, the presentation was rushed, and the focus was off. But the tacos? The tacos were delicious.

Fish Tacos
Adapted from: My most favorite grilling cookbook of all time: Weber's Real Grilling

Makes 8 Tacos

Slaw:
8 oz. red or green cabbage
1 medium carrot, shredded
1 small red onion thinly sliced
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
2 T. fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. cumin
salt and pepper to taste

Toss and combine all ingredients in a bowl and let sit while fish is being grilled.

***
Fish:
4 Halibut fillets (or whatever happens to be your favorite fish) approx. 8 oz each
extra virgin olive oil
chili powder
salt and pepper

Brush or spray fish on all sides with oil; season with salt, pepper, and chili powder. Grill over direct high heat until the fish begins to flake (about 6-8 minutes; turning once). Remove from grill and break into 1 inch pieces.

***
Sauce:
1 Cup sour cream (you can substitute Greek yogurt here but I wouldn't recommend it. To me, if I add Greek yogurt to something it starts to taste less like Mexican food and more like Greek food. You know?)
juice from 1 lime
1 clove garlic finely minced
1 T. cilantro
salt and pepper to taste


Combine sauce ingredients and adjust according to taste.

Heat corn or flour tortillas on direct high heat for about 20 seconds per side. Wrap in kitchen towel or put in tortilla warmer to keep warm. For each taco layer a warm tortilla with fish, slaw, and white sauce.

(Psst! If you have a non-fish eater in your home, black beans are a quick and delicious substitute.)


Please be sure to hop over to the other rad blogs that are featuring easy family recipes this month. Dude. It's like we've planned your menu for the entire week! Huzzah!

Hannah
Cathy
Dianna
Jaime & Emily
Jessie
Jessica
Lindsey

Photobucket

11 comments:

Sarah said...

Yum! Fish tacos are some of my favorite things.
Can't wait to try your version.

Cathy said...

I've never eaten a fish taco. It might be because of the fish. Lucky for me I love black beans! Or I could just stop being a big baby and try something new.

Jocelyn said...

hhhmmmm...I have never eaten a fish taco before! I will take your word that they are delish!!! I love this new blog series! Count me in if you need extra posts:-)

Hannah said...

We LOVE fish tacos in our family, but I've never made them. I can't wait to try this recipe!! YUM!

michelle said...

This is a genius idea, Miranda. I have always wanted to know what other families go-to recipes are!

I love fish tacos. Kind of my new favorite stand-by, and on the menu for this week.

Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

I haven't had a fish taco in awhile. Your look way good too!

paws said...

What the heck are you talking about? The photo looks great! And I'm so excited for all these recipes. It's like you knew I'd be meal planning today. I could just kiss you!

Charlotte said...

I am seriously looking forward to this series! Because, you know, I'm always looking for more blogs to add to my Google Reader. Obviously. Love it.

tharker said...

I've never actually had a fish taco. They look so yummy, but I have yet to try it. This recipe looks delicious, thanks so much for sharing!

Christina said...

I take the easy way and use panko breaded tilapia from Costco in my fish tacos, but I'm going to have to try your recipe. Thanks for sharing, Miranda!

Melonie said...

I love fish tacos! We actually had something similar tonight but with a roasted chicken instead of fish. For my sauce I do one part yogurt and one part mayo, some lime juice, cumin and oregano. It is DELICIOUS!

Related Posts with Thumbnails