20 June 2011

Blog Hopping: Hostess Gifts

Blog Hopping Logo

I'm going to be completely honest with you. I'm pretty sure I've never actually given a hostess gift. I mean....let me think about it....no. Never.

However, I really like the idea of hostess gifts and I've always wanted to be the kind of girl who gives them. The only problem is that they require forethought. And forethought is not my strong suit.

That being said, I believe that it is never too late to start over, to try again, to become the kind of girl who stands on a doorstep with a totally unexpected and wonderful gift. Which is why I chose this particular topic for this month's blog hop. In other words, this series is purely for my benefit. I'm selfish like that. Perhaps you can find an idea for your next gift-giving occasion and forgive me?

My friend Rachel once told me that whenever she has used the seeds out of a vanilla bean she sticks the remains (I don't know what else to call it...bean skin?...shell?...you know, the stuff that isn't seeds) in an airtight container with some sugar to make vanilla sugar. I think it is the perfect way to get the most out of your precious vanilla bean that you may have shelled out good money for. It also might make you feel better when you find a bean that you had completely forgotten about and realize that it has long since become dry and brittle. Don't cry! At least you can make vanilla sugar with it!

Of course I know you wouldn't be that irresponsible with your vanilla beans.

DSC_4636

So really, this process couldn't be simpler. Get your vanilla bean (be it used up or dried up), stick it in an airtight container that you bought new or for a steal at your favorite thrift shop, pour in some sugar (I once heard a rule of thumb that you should use about 2 Cups of sugar per bean but I'm going to go ahead and say that it doesn't matter)(I used Turbinado sugar in this case because I think it is pretty), and let it sit for at least a week occasionally shaking it move the bean around.

Once the sugar has been sufficiently infused with the vanilla (or you have a party to go to, whichever comes first) throw on a label and a ribbon in your signature color (because you are now totally the kind of girl who has a signature color with which everything is wrapped) and you're set!

DSC_4643

Now all I need is a hostess to give this lovely gift to! Any takers?

So tell me, do you give hostess gifts? Are you one of those always prepared girls that I am so envious of? Either way be sure to hop over to all of the other clever bloggers that are sharing their ideas today too.

Jocelyn
Michelle
Marisa
Joy
Amberlee
Thanks for participating ladies!

Here's how "Blog Hopping" works:
• Each blogger participating will post on their own blog about a pre-chosen theme. (Blog Hopping is all about discovering new blogs!)
• Posts will go up on the 20th of each month
• At the end of the post, the bloggers participating will be linked so you all can "hop" around and check out the other ideas/recipes.
• And most exciting: YOU are invited to participate. Please contact me if you are interested.


P.S. Do you love my new header? It was designed for me by the always sweet Kylee. Thank you so much Kylee!


Photobucket

14 comments:

kylee said...

so glad you like the header! and this blog hopping idea of yours is lovely.

Victoria said...

Love your blog hopping idea and love your pretty jar of vanilla sugar. x

Anonymous said...

I'm definitely going to make vanilla sugar, what a great idea. Love the blog hop ... I'm on my way ...

Hannah said...

Brilliant! I love this idea. (So happy that you are going to keep Blog Hopping without me!)

Hil said...

Love this idea. And love the new header! Way to go Kylee!

laurie said...

what a great idea! i would love to receive this - so pretty and unique.

Charlotte said...

Oo, I love love love the blog header. I think I need to be the kind of girl who gives hostess gifts. Which means that I'll have to buy some orange grosgrain ribbon for gift embellishment. Obviously.

Chef in Training said...

this is such a great idea! i am enjoying this blog hop thing! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out my blog and follow me too! Thank!
-Nikki
http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

Joy McMillan said...

Ooooh, vanilla sugar! Now to find out where I can find vanilla beans. I adore the smell of vanilla...might just tuck one in my panty draw too! :)

Cathy said...

What a great idea! Now I just have to figure out how to get some friends so I can be invited over.

dw said...

What? Forget a(n expensive) vanilla bean until it dries up and becomes useless? Me?

No. Never.

Ahem.

Jocelyn said...

I love your cute little jar of vanilla sugar! LOL I have never purchased a vanilla bean because I am pretty sure I would be one of the ones who lets it dry out:-) Thanks for the fun hop!!!

jt said...

thank you for the lovely idea! We want to do vanilla extract for Christmas gifts. So, I should have started already...
And I just saw that you answered my question about your beautiful banner.

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea! i am enjoying this blog! I am your newest follower and would love it, if you would check out my blog and follow me too! Thank!
-Fatima


send gifts to pakistan

Related Posts with Thumbnails