25 October 2010

I like it now

I've never cared that much about coffee cake. Do you hate me now? I guess I always figured I'd rather have a muffin or you know, cake. Like with frosting. But N8tr0n has always liked coffee cake so I would occasionally try to be a nice wife and make it for him. I had a recipe from Sunset that called for approximately 1,000 ingredients and required every single bowl that existed in the kitchen. There were multiple steps, multiple layers, and a springform pan involved. The results were good but obviously not worth all the fuss since I can count on one hand the times I've made it. With that recipe my opinion of "coffee cake: meh" was further reinforced.

DSC_2139

I can't exactly say that I was searching for a new coffee cake recipe when I happened upon this one. It was more that I was searching for something to do with the apples that were staring me down from the fruit bowl. Or maybe it was the fact that I noticed the recipe called for sour cream and everything is better with sour cream you guys. Whatever made me dog-ear this recipe, I'm so happy that I did because now I get it. I get coffee cake. And it's about time.

Before I share the recipe with you, I feel like this pie needs another shout out. Have you made it yet? My goodness what are you waiting for? Make this pie while you're waiting for the coffee cake to bake. Or vice versa of course.

DSC_2145

Apple Coffee Cake
Adapted From: Everyday Food

Topping:
1/4 C. unsalted butter, cold and cut into pieces
1/2 C. packed light brown sugar
1/2 C. toasted pecans, chopped
1/4 C. old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. course salt

Preheat oven to 35o degrees. Combine dry topping ingredients and cut butter into it with pastry cutter or your hands. Refrigerate while you make the cake batter.

Batter:
1/2 C. unsalted butter, room temperature
2 C. all-purpose flour
1/2 t. baking soda (adapted for altitude)
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. course salt
1 C. granulated sugar
1/2 C. packed light brown sugar
4 large eggs
1 C. sour cream
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and diced
1 C. toasted pecans, chopped

Prepare Bundt pan. Whisk together dry ingredients. In separate bowl combine butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Add sour cream and beat to combine. Gradually add flour with mixer on low and beat until just combined. Stir in apples and pecans with spatula. Transfer to Bundt pan and sprinkle with topping. Using a butter knife, gently push some of the topping into the batter. Bake at 35o degrees for 60-70 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Turn out and let cool.




Photobucket

8 comments:

Kelli said...

It is so true that things are just better with sour cream...agreed! Ooh, that pie recipe also looks delicious. Thanks for sharing them.

Walker Family said...

Thanks so much the other day Miranda seriously you saved this mama's life with your help! And yes anything with sour cream is the bomb! This looks so good!

michelle said...

Huh. I'm just not that into cooked apples. I know. But I do enjoy a good coffee cake, preferably one with plenty of brown sugar and pecans. And sour cream, of course.

Hannah said...

What a beautiful cake! Looks completely delicious. Can't wait to try it!

Katharina said...

Dude. How did I miss that pie recipe? I mean...WOW.

Hil said...

Um. Okay. Thank you for the reminder about that pie. Made it tonight and I'm DYING over how incredibly delicious it is.

Staci said...

Will you disown me as your cousin when I admit that I don't own a bundt pan?!

And I agree about the sour cream - but what about our grandmother's deal with soured cream - the kind she used in sugar cookies? I still crave those, but no one in my family can handle the smell or the flavor so I've quit making them.

Staci said...

Had to come back with another comment. I know you made buttermilk syrup for your minireunion brunch in August, but I didn't get it. I do now - see my post about pershing french toast - and I think it may be a perfect topper for coffee cake - or ice cream!

Related Posts with Thumbnails